Wednesday 26 June 2013

Django Unchained

     'Django unchained', (the D is silent). What can I say about this film? Classic Tarantino at it's best. Quirky like his other work, goes against everything we are told is good in the world. The thing I admire the most about the talented director is the fact he laughs in the face of controversy, willing to take the silver-screen risk. And what would the world of film be without these risks? Sure we love the nostalgia of the oldies, and we all have our preferred genres... But it all eventually get's boring. Quentin Tarantino understands that rules are made to be broken. Well, entertainment wise anyway. Though he portrays violence and discrimination, he never influences it. If anything, he makes us feel for those who have had prejudice taken out upon them. And it may be my love for his work, but this may as well mean he decreases the amount of evil in the world. Yes, I know I have crossed the line.
   
     Like most of his films, I am unable to find a singular genre for 'Django Unchained'. It's witty, as well as emotional. But the way Tarantino has incorporated the spaghetti-western feel into this film is pure brilliance. Not only is the plot based in these times, but there are many cleverly added in references to westerns. My personal favourites are the ones that revolve around the breakout actor from 'Inglorious Bastards', Mr. Christoph Waltz. The character who throughout the film you slowly develop your emotions for without you even knowing. He's both subtle and in your face. Anyway, my original point was that I found out his occupation as a dentist refers to the comedy-western 'The Paleface'. As well as this, the horse in 'Django Unchained' with the name of Fritz references Roy Rodger's horse 'Trigger'. Of course the main references are the ones from the original 1966 spaghetti western 'Django'. Not only has the name been taken, but several tracks from the film are included in Tarantino's film.  Basically, I love how everything has a purpose in the film. Even Jamie Foxx's 'Blue Boy' attire has some sort of purpose.

     I am also unable to choose my favourite actor in this film. Though my instinct tells me it should be my general obvious choice that is Waltz, or even the protagonist Jamie Foxx, I cannot help but show my admiration for Leo DiCaprio's performance. Why you ask? Not just because he is able to play a dark and sadistic villain, but the acting ability to improvise surpasses any of his other performances in films. The moment where he he 'accidentally' cuts his own hand and later smears it on actress Kerry Washington's face is a complete improvisation. The actor really did cut his hand and used his injury as an advantage meaning he completely owned the scene. It puts him in my personal imaginary improvisation league which includes actors such as Jack Nicholson and Robert Di Nero.

     On my last note, I would just like to say without spoiling the film is mentioning my favourite part which is how Tarantino humanizes and mocks the 'KKK'. It has a strong influence of 'Monty Python' as well as Judd Apatow (by using Jonah hill). Though I may seem immature, I find it's silliness and how annoyingly ongoing it is very entertaining. 



No comments:

Post a Comment